Barking Dogs & Other Noise Nuisances

It is unlawful to permit any animal to unreasonably make a disturbance, such as repeated episodes of continuous noise lasting 10 minutes or episodes of intermittent noise lasting 30 minutes, providing someone did not intentionally provoke the animal other than the owner.

Steps for Solving Noise Issues

1. Talk to the owner

Try talking to the dog owner about the activities of their pet and what steps can be taken to resolve the problem. Sometimes pet owners are not aware of their pet's actions, especially when they are not at home.
Barking dog

Flickr user Bree Bailey, CC BY-SA 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

2. Send our barking dog materials to the owner

You may download our

(PDF, 244KB) to send to the dog’s owner. This guide and letter are designed to help your neighbor understand the problem and offer some ideas about correcting the barking dog problem.

See also: 

(PDF, 233KB)

If the animal nuisance is related to livestock (chickens, roosters etc), contact Multnomah County Vector Control.

3. Try neighborhood mediation

Neighborhood Mediation is another avenue for resolution. Sit down with a third party and talk about the issues.
Portland residents can contact Resolutions NorthwestFor conflict resolution services in Fairview, Gresham, Troutdale, Wood Village, and East Multnomah County, contact East Metro Mediation.

4. Last resort: File a formal complaint

If the prior steps are unsuccessful or unavailable and the problem persists, you may file a formal complaint using the Animal Nuisance Complaint Form

File a Nuisance Report Online

Use this online form to complete nuisance complaints online.
(Requires a google account for evidence file uploads)

File a Report

Alternatively, you may download and print a form to return to MCAS:

The form must include the date and times of the violation and meet the guidelines, defined as a dog barking repeatedly for 10 minutes or intermittent episodes lasting a minimum 30 minutes. (The requirements are the same for other non-canine animal noises.)

This form must either

  • Be signed by at least two other neighbors (three people total)
  • Or, if signed by one person, there must be an accompanying audio or videotape for the date and time of the alleged violation. This audio or videotape must meet the above listed requirements for a violation.

An inability to substantiate a violation with documented date and times will result in no action by Multnomah County Animal Services.

After you have completed the animal nuisance complaint form

  • Bring it to us at 1700 W Historic Columbia River Highway in Troutdale.
  • Or you may mail it to Multnomah County Animal Services, Attention: Legal Aide Officer, 1700 W Historic Columbia River Hwy, Troutdale, OR 97060.

5. What happens next?

See the Notice of Infraction Process page.