Investigations & Field Services
Multnomah County Animal Services is the primary agency responsible for performing animal abuse and neglect investigations in Multnomah County. We serve the cities of Portland, Gresham, Troutdale, Wood Village, Fairview, Maywood Park and all unincorporated areas of the county.
If you have an animal-related emergency, call us 24 hours per day, 7 days a week at (503) 988-7387.
If you have a pet-related issue that is not an emergency, call during regular call center hours. All complaints (except barking) may be reported by phone.
Our field services unit is responsible for:
- Animal rescue and protection - 24-hour emergency response and investigations: abandoned animals, animals in distress, cruelty and neglect investigations; injured or sick animal rescue; loose animals in traffic; protective care and custody of animals.
- Public health and safety: loose aggressive animals, animal bite investigation and quarantine, potentially dangerous dog investigation and classification, dead animal removal from public property.
- Neighborhood livability: barking dog disturbances, loose animal nuisance complaints, stray holding dog pick-up service, animal facility inspections.
Available field services:
- If an animal is in imminent danger (loose on a freeway, in a hot car, being beaten or attacked, in distress) or there is a loose aggressive dog, call to report an emergency, 24 hours per day: (503) 988-7387
- If you want to report a dog bite, a suspected neglect/abuse situation, or another animal control related issue, please call (503) 988-7387 during regular call center hours. Download a form to report a dog bite.
- If you find a sick or deceased rabbit, please report it directly to the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA), who are currently tracking and preventing the spread of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus 2 (RHDV2). Please call 1-800-347-7028 or visit https://oda.direct/RHD to report domestic or wild rabbits which are sick or suspected to have died from RHDV2.
- For wildlife issues (other than coyotes), call Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) at: (503) 947-6000.
- To report a sick/injured bird or coyote issues, please call Portland Audubon Society Wildlife Care Center at (503) 292-0304.
- Submit dead bird reports to Multnomah County Vector Control or see ODFW's website regarding dead birds.
- For information about livestock regulations and beekeeping, please refer to Multnomah County Vector Control. Free livestock registration is available.
- To request records, submit a public records request online.
Field Services Statistics
Learn more details about animal issues our officers respond to from our monthly reports.