Foster Volunteer Application
Interested in becoming a foster volunteer? Take the first step by completing a Foster Volunteer application, or learn more about foster roles and resources below.Submit an application
Unable to volunteer at the shelter? Want animal companionship, but not ready to adopt? You can help shelter animals from the comfort of your own home!
Urgent Fostering Needs
- Bottle babies - We receive a lot of kittens (and very rarely puppies) who are too little to eat on their own and need to be bottle-fed. This is time consuming, but very rewarding work!
- Dog Behavioral Support - Some dogs need a little extra TLC and training to help them overcome jumpy / mouthy behaviors, and manage fear, anxiety, and stress (FAS).
Other Fostering Needs
- Puppies/kittens - Puppies and kittens that are too young to be spayed/neutered go into foster care until they are old enough for surgery so they can get some basic training and socialization skills.
- Moms with babies - Mom nursing kittens or puppies need a quiet foster home to relax and raise their babies in. All the joy of bottle babies with a lot less work!
- Medical - Animals with colds, healing wounds, broken bones, recovering from surgery, etc. all need foster homes to recover in, away from the shelter.
- Socialization - Many animals are scared in the shelter environment. Slow, positive reinforcement in a foster home sets them up for success in their adoptive homes.
- Respite - Animals that have been at the shelter for a long time sometimes just need a short break from the stress and benefit greatly from time spent in foster care.
- Hospice - Sometimes geriatric dogs and cats come to MCAS whose quality of life is still relatively good, but are unlikely to live very much longer because of medical issues (renal failure, FeLV, etc). These animals are placed into special hospice foster homes and provided with medical care until their time comes.
Foster Volunteer Handbooks and Resources
Spread the Word About Fostering
Download and print a flyer to post in your neighborhood or community hot spots.