Multnomah County Animal Services (MCAS) is resuming adoptions through a virtual, touchless process. Community members can now submit adoption applications online, meet with adoption counselors remotely, and safely pick up their adopted pet at the shelter with limited contact.
In an effort to protect community members, volunteers, and staff at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020, MCAS suspended all non-essential services of the shelter, including adoption services.
MCAS is implementing new tools to facilitate a virtual adoption process, enabling community members to view adoptable pets online, submit adoption applications online, meet virtually with an adoption counselor, and arrange a contactless pickup process at the Troutdale shelter.
At this time, community members aren’t able to visit the shelter to browse adoption kennels, and adoptions are limited to the virtual process.
How Virtual Adoptions Work
Finding Your Pet
- Search for adoptable pets online at multcopets.org.
- If you are interested in adopting an available pet, fill out the Adoption Information form. You’ll be redirected to the Adopets website to complete the form.
- MCAS staff will review the adoption application for eligibility, and additional information.
- Adoption applications will be processed in order of the time they are received. MCAS adoption counselors will review applications for eligibility.
- Adoption Counselors will contact you to schedule an interview by phone or Google Hangouts, or discuss any potential issues with the adoption application.
- During the adoption interview, adoption counselors will review behavior and medical history of the animal with you, answer questions, and consult about the pet’s needs and an adopter’s lifestyle.
- If the adoption is approved, you will be able to pay adoption and licensing fees online.
- Adoption counselors will schedule a day and time for you to pick up your adopted pet. Please bring a face-mask.
Picking Up Your Adopted Pet
- When you arrive at the shelter front door, ring the buzzer for assistance.
- MCAS staff will welcome you to the adoption meet & greet room to pickup your pet, and any medication or accessories.
- Facemasks must be worn at all times while in the building.